Saturday, August 1, 2009

Dave 11/18/99 – Re: Manteiga derretida

Hi Moonbeam,

I like to learn new things and language has always fascinated me. All the world is tied by language and English (or American) is such a combination of other world language. We are a "Melting Pot" of cultures with many trying to retain some of their heritage. I'm sure it's the same there. Grottos of different nationalities grouping together. In Orlando, there are sections of Puerto Rican, Cuban, Italian and even Vietnamese. The restaurants are good and the culture sharing is educational.
Are you raising your girls to be bi-lingual? It's so much easier when they are young to give them the gift of language. It's hard to force yourself to speak in a language that isn't natural to you. It's hard to express yourself and your feelings when the words are different. Some words in Portuguese, probably fit your expression better than any available word in English. It's natural and is the same in reverse. In the Baltic countries of Europe, for instance, one of the most vulgar and profane things you can say, is literally translated to English as "Blood of a Dog". Now... when I hit my finger with a hammer, that phrase doesn't come to mind. We have other expletives.
I too... believe that men of small stature probably compensate with a "Rooster" attitude. I believe psychologists call it a "Napoleon Complex".
I assume because he was a small man and strutted his power to make him feel larger. It is the same with women who are very tall. They don't wear high heels on shoes and try to dress so as to not accentuate their height. I like small women because when I hold them in my arms, I feel like they are a small bird in my hand. I think women like larger men, because they feel secure and protected. Even a tiny woman can control immense power in a man if they love him and he loves her. That, I'm sure is a good feeling.
After thinking about it, I should realize you probably haven't seen "Brian's Song". It is a true story about a white American Football player who dies of Cancer and his relationship with a black friend who plays on the same team. It is a sad and touching story that is even more emotional because it's true. I cry at any story involving children who are somehow involved in something that children shouldn't be involved in. We have an organization here called "The make a wish" foundation. It makes dreams come true for children who are terminally ill. I've met some of these courageous kids that know they are going to die. They are strong in spirit and don't feel sorry for themselves. They live every day they have, like it was their last. Why can't we all do that, every day of our lives?

I don't pray as much as I should. Sometimes I feel hypocritical because I only do when I feel the need. I suppose that giving thanks for every breath and every sunrise is the way to have a good relationship with God. I am secure in my belief and can't understand how people can deny the existence of a supreme deity. Anyone who has experienced or witnessed the birth of a child, can't possibly believe there is no God. I helped with both of mine and delivered two myself when I was a police officer. Holding a newborn when it takes its first breath will bring tears to the eyes of the most macho man. If it doesn't, then he has NO emotion.

Gotta go to work my little melted butter. I like your letters and look forward to them. Like I told you, it doesn't matter what you talk about as long as it's something that will help me know you better. I wish you were closer.

hugs & kisses,
dave

"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant, I couldn't stand to have the old man around. When I got to be twenty one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."
-Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment